BRAVA’s Synthetic Cedar Shake product offers customers the ability to maintain the authentic look of a hand-split cedar shake roof, with added performance (Class 4 Impact Rating, Class A or C Fire Rating), and twice the lifespan of natural cedar shake. In general, installation of a natural cedar shake roof is going to be less expensive than a BRAVA Shake roof. This cost savings is mainly due to the lower cost of natural cedar as compared to BRAVA’s synthetic Cedar Shake.
However, a comparison of the “installation costs” does not accurately reflect the actual cost to the homeowner of installing natural cedar when viewed over the life of the roof. Natural cedar shake roofing typically lasts 20 -25 years, depending on the location of the installation and this life span is constantly decreasing due to the depletion of “old growth” cedar trees.
In addition, most contractors typically recommend “treating” or “cleaning” a natural cedar shake roof every 5-7 years.
When added to the costs of installation, the costs of upkeeping a cedar shake roof over its lifespan mean that natural cedar is often the more expensive alternative as compared to synthetic cedar roofing.
Cost of Cedar Shake VS. Brava Shake
Non-Synthetic Medium #1 Grade Cedar Shake
- Cost: $10.00 – $16.00 per sq. ft. installed for non-fire treated materials. Additional $.85/sq. ft. for treatment to achieve Class C fire rating.
- Lifespan: 20-25 years.
- Maintenance: Every 5-7 years.
- Maintenance Cost: $3,000 – $4,000 for an average (50 square) size roof.
Brava Cedar Shake
- Cost: $11.00 – $18.00 per sq. ft. installed for Class C Synthetic Cedar Shake.
- Lifespan: 50+ years! Twice that of natural cedar.
- Maintenance: None!
- Maintenance Cost: $0