Here are 5 helpful tips for homeowners who want to hire a reliable roofing contractor:
Get Multiple Estimates
- It is important to not go with the first contractor you meet
- Be sure to get multiple estimates to make sure you find an experienced and reliable contractor
- By vetting multiple contractors, you will have a better chance of finding the best deal while finding quality workers
Get Personal Information
- Find out if they are registered and have a state license
- Get their permanent place of business and telephone number
- Check if they are registered with the state that you reside in
- See if they are a member with the Roofing Contractors Association in your state/county
- Make sure the roofing contractors have their own insurance to cover the work they do and any injuries that may occur while they are working
- The best place to begin is to check out reviews on websites such as Better Business Bureau, Yelp, Angie’s List, Google Reviews, and more!
- Find out if any of your neighbors have used them in the past and what their experience has been
- Ask the contractor directly for references, and actually call them! Many times people just write down the phone numbers of family members or friends, be sure to ask details about the home in depth to see if they are fake references
Ask About Their Team
- Do they have a set crew of workers that they have been with for awhile?
- Do they hire subcontractors to do the work?
- Find out if the rest of their crew is insured and how long they have been working together
- Make sure the whole team is covered by their own insurance!
Check the Contract
- It is important to have a contract before the process begins
- The contract should closely detail the timeframe of the product, what the contractor is responsible for, and cleanup responsibilities
- Do they offer a warranty for the work they do?
- Check the fine print: don’t sign a contract that leaves room for extra to be written after it is signed!