Slate roofing tiles are a natural material that are created when large blocks of slate are separated into sheets along their natural lines. Slate can be found in a range of colors depending on its chemical properties. The most common color of slate is the blue-gray that is formed when the mineral composition is primarily calcium carbonate. Purple hues are the result of hematite. When chlorite is found in high levels, it can give the slate a green tint, which results in a unique and beautiful green slate.
Green slate roofing, like all slate roofing, creates a beautiful Old World look and can last for over 100 years. However, natural materials come with numerous downsides:
- Heavy - The weight of a slate roof is between 800 and 1,500 hundred pounds per hundred square feet compared to asphalt shingles that weigh between 230 and 430 per hundred square feet.
- Fragile - Though very durable, slate is brittle and can easily break upon impact or when walked on. If the roof needs maintenance, it should be done by experienced roofing professionals who know how to access the areas that need repair.
- Regular maintenance - Slate requires regular maintenance, typically twice a year, to ensure that the slate shingles are free from damage. If there are damaged shingles, they should be replaced immediately to avoid any leaks or other issues that can weaken the structure of the roof or create water damage.
- Expensive - The beauty of slate comes with a comparable price tag — costing up to 5 times as much as asphalt shingles. Not only are the shingles themselves expensive, the installation process can be lengthy, especially if the materials are difficult to source or if the structure needs additional support to bear the extra weight of the roof.
What if you could get the beauty of a green slate roof without the downsides?
Brava Old World Slate Creates An Authentic Look Without The Downsides
Natural quarried slate has a unique texture and varying hues, a hallmark of Mother Nature’s work. That’s why Brava Old World Slate Roof Tiles are infused with natural minerals to give it the multi-toned hue and texture found in natural slate.
Other benefits of choosing a synthetic alternative to natural slate include:
- A natural look without the weight - Our state-of-the-art compression molding technology ensures unparalleled strength without the weight of natural slate. Our molds are cast from hand-chiseled slate, so our pieces feature a natural edge and a thick profile.
- No maintenance - Natural slate must be regularly inspected for cracks or pyrite stains, but synthetic slate tiles are maintenance-free, to ensure a long-lasting, beautiful roof, and peace of mind.
- Sustainable - Our synthetic slate roof tiles are fully recyclable. We’re committed to creating products that help, rather than hurt, our planet.
- Closed cell design - A closed cell design means that they won’t absorb water and grow mold.
Mother Nature inspired colors - We offer 10 natural hues that capture the beautiful variety of colors found in natural slate, and we can also craft custom colors to complete your unique project.
Green Slate Roofing
Naturally occurring green slate is a beautiful roofing material, but it comes with all of the downsides of a natural slate roof. Synthetic green slate roof tiles, on the other hand, create a natural look, but without the weight, expense, and maintenance of natural slate.
To capture the look of green slate roofing, Brava Old World Slate is available in Deep Green which provides a stunning depth of color that includes variations in order to mimic naturally occurring green slate. Our Atlantic hue blends browns and greens, to create a stunning patina that looks like natural tiles that have aged over time.
We can also create custom colors, so if your design requires a specific shade of green roof tiles, we can work with you to achieve the perfect color.
Brava’s Green Roof Tiles Provide A Piece Of The Past In Modern Design
Green slate tiles hearken back to Old World beauty, a simpler time when natural materials reigned supreme. Despite their beauty and design benefits, natural slate is heavy, difficult to install and maintain, and finding a specific color can be a challenge.
Brava Old World slate provides all of the design benefits of natural slate but without the hassle or extra weight. Our green slate roof tiles are inspired by nature and are the perfect choice for creating a maintenance-free roof that captures the essence of days gone by.
Contact an expert at Brava today to discover the beauty of Old World Slate.